Monday, February 4, 2008

Culture

This entry shall hitherto be known as Scene II. Scene I was a wonderful one-way discussion on standards ... and alignment and accountabiltity and economic issues concerning formal education and training. This entry will be so much simpler. All I have to do is talk about culture. That can't possibly be driven in multiple directions, right? On we go-

First I would like to bring up the issue of teacher preparation, as mentioned in Villegas's piece. The reading said that "students can complete their teacher education programs without receiving any preparation whatsoever in issues of diversity". How true, how true. In my undergraduate work I took one course that addresses diversity. "Exceptional Students", the name of the course, discussed the needs of students from all walkes of life. It was in this class the we learned about handicapped, gifted and racially diverse students (with priority given in that order). Let's face it, I did my student teaching in Southeastern Idaho. My first interview for a teaching position was in downtown Boston. What was the difference between the schools? Everything. You might not be able to find more polar opposites than the school I Student Taught in and the school I interviewed at. I can honestly say that my teacher preparation skipped over a few essential elements for jobs in Boston, New York, Miami or L.A. Okay, more than a few. Having grown up in Houston, I sought diversity. I chose to go to Boston and look for schools. What happens to the students who has diversity thrust upon him or her? Is it possible to be culturally responsive while in a state of culture shock?

Duiring my brief 25 years of life I have lived in Texas, Idaho, Mexico and Tennessee. I have travelled to many more places and find joy in what diversity has to offer in each place. I have read captivating historical and informational books that preach the need for cultural awareness. I enjoy it enough that I am considering pursuing Multicultural Ed in my future doctoral studies. Needless to say, I feel stongly that Multcult Ed should play a bigger part in teacher preparation than what I received.

I agree with Villegas in that diverse cultural views should not be limited to seminars or Black History month. Diverse views should be an integral part of each class as we seek to learn from texts and from each other. Public education is supposed to serve the public good, meeting the needs of the rich and the poor alike. I can see how some parents might fear that their child is not being let ahead because of the focus of not letting other fall behind. If someone realy wants a more rigorous content-area curriculum, I would suggest private schools. They will assuredly miss out on certain educational opportunities which almost only happen in diverse settings (not private schools), but they will also gain ground in some areas. For those who stay in public schools, we must remember that the goal is to help each student to succeed. Success may come in different forms, different languages and different ideas, but it must be the driver.

When I consider the effort that teachers must put in to becoming culturally responsive, it seems amazing that there is still time to teach, grade papers, etc. Yet teachers are still not given their due respect. Do others outside the field of education understand what is required to be a successful teacher? Perhaps the lack of respect comes from lack of understanding the job and duty of a professional teacher.

My thoughts on Multicultural Education and responsiveness to cultural differences could fill a book. I don't want ot say much more than this: Teachers must be culturally responsive. Teachers will not be without sufficient training. On-the-job training is more likely to run teachers from the profession than cement their conviction to the cause. When the time for action is here, the time for preparation is gone.